This list is ongoing. I welcome corrections, additions, and additional info. I'm interested mostly in full-body or almost-full-body taxidermy, not wet specimens or isolated preserved body parts.
I love natural history museums of all calibers, and I’ve visited quite a few, but among the menageries of dead animals that I’ve witnessed, one group of animals is always missing – cetaceans. If they are present, it’s usually in the form of skeletons or scale models, which are wonderful in their own right, but I always wondered why whales and dolphins in particular never seemed to be the subject of taxidermy.
Above are some archive photos from the Field Museum of Natural History documenting the creation of a model narwhal. While I’m sure methods vary, I imagine most museum models share a similar conception and birth. These models contain 0% actual cetacean. In this case, a lifelike narwhal was sculpted out of clay, cast in plaster, and then a lighter “final” model was made from the cast using celluloid, a plastic.
While doing reading for my Alula Whale article, I discovered whale taxidermy DOES exist. However, there’s a reason examples are so rare.
I found one explanation for this in Seals and Whales of the British Museum (p. 66), where John Edward Gray notes
“It is almost impossible to preserve their skin, it being very thin and apt to crack and curl up; and when preserved, they are difficult to keep without deterioration, on account of the fat and salt they contain, and the odour they emit, especially in damp weather. For this reason, in the Paris and some other museums, they have prepared a series of plaster models to illustrate the genera.”
While incredibly difficult, it is not impossible. However, the difficulty means the results of past attempts are usually not very pretty. This post will be an attempted catalogue of all the examples of cetacean taxidermy I can find, in no particular order.
Malm Whale, Gothenburg Museum of Natural History, Sweden
Image source. Far and away the best known example of cetacean taxidermy is the Malm Whale, a preserved young Blue Whale. The mount was created in 1865, the skin pulled over a wooden frame and the jaw articulated in such a way that it can be opened and people can climb inside. While overall a success, the blue whale is no longer blue, its skin having discoloured to a dark patchy brown at some point during the preservation process.
A great deal has been written about this whale, to the point where it eclipses most other cases of cetacean taxidermy, so I won’t dwell on it here. I do, however, question its oft-repeated status as the world’s only taxidermied baleen whale.
Harbour Porpoise, Cambridge Museum of Zoology, England
Shared by my Twitter friend PetrichorCrown. As you can see, it clearly suffers a discolouration problem similar to the Malm Whale, although its overall form looks a bit more true-to-life. Other issues I see in taxidermy whales and dolphins is visible skin puckering and visible stiches.
Bottlenose Dolphin, La Salle Museum, Costa Rica
Shared by Twitter friend @wingcoaster. Here it looks like the taxidermist painted the dolphin in an attempt to get around the discolouration issue. I know this is standard practice in fish taxidermy, but the effect on the skin of a dolphin is somewhat uncanny.
Stenella longirostris roseiventris, National Museum of Natural History, France
This image comes from the 1999 paper Spinner Dolphins of the Western Pacific and Southeast Asia: Pelagic and Shallow-water Forms by William F. Perrin et al. I came across it while researching the Alula Whale post and it was my first time seeing a confirmed example of cetacean taxidermy.
Sei Whale, Fribourg Natural History Museum, Switzerland
This young Sei Whale, dubbed Marlene, died in 1852 and became a permanent fixture of the Natural History Museum in 1881. Photo comes from this article by Atlas Obscura.
Indus River Dolphin, Pakistan
This image comes from a 2020 article about how Muhammad Irfan, a 64 year old retiree and supposedly Pakistan’s only taxidermist, was tasked with preserving an Indus River Dolphin.
Baiji, Institute of Hydrobiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
These images come from 2011. This is one of those “I think it’s taxidermy” cases because the description is not super clear. If this is a mounted cetacean, its skin has been so thickly covered with paint and primer that it may as well be a synthetic model. The only traits that make me think this might be a real dolphin is the overall quality, the wonky form and the fact that it’s under glass.
The museum also houses a wet specimen. I wasn't counting wet specimens as taxidermy here, but here's an example of what that looks like.
Finless Porpoise and Baiji, National Zoological Museum of China
Image 1 and image 2. These, I’m almost certain are taxidermy, just based on their qualities. To quote the original description, “The photo was taken by Linda Wong, Deputy Secretary-General of China Biodiversity Conservation and Green Development Foundation (CBCGDF), on March 31, 2024”.
Baiji, Shanghai Natural History Museum, China
Image comes from Flickr user Hamish Robertson, shared Nov 2009.
Ganges River Dolphin, La Specola, Italy
Shared on Flickr in 2007 by Curious Expeditions.
Potential Taxidermy or Provenience Unknown
The descriptions of these images were lacking in detail.
Bottlenose Dolphin, United States, 1914
This image comes from the 1914 book Nature Neighbors, with contributions from multiple photographers. The source of the dolphin is not given. The strange bulbous shape and brownish colour makes me think this is taxidermy.
10 meter long whale, 2012, Rikuzentakata City Maritime Museum / National Museum of Nature and Science in Tokyo, Japan
Image and full description. This photo is giving SCP Foundation but I’m including it here in the interest of documenting it. This whale was part of a large scale museum specimen rescue effort in Miyagi Prefecture following the Great East Japan Earthquake of 2011.
Bottlenose Dolphin, Netherlands
Image source. Potentially an image of a recently stuffed (or soon to be stuffed) dolphin who has not yet suffered discolouration. The description, translated from Dutch, goes as follows: “April Fools' Jokes : Around April 1, 1914, the magazine Het Leven published a false article about a sleeping sickness epidemic in the Netherlands. Here is a so-called shark on which eggs of the mosquito that supposedly transmits this disease were found. In reality, this is a stuffed dolphin. The Netherlands, 1914.”
River Dolphin? Museu de Pesca, Brazil
These images come from Flickr user Wanderlei Talib, taken in 2010. My only reason for thinking they might be taxidermy is the fact that they’re wonky, but they could just as well be wonky models.
Rorqual, 2009
Image comes from Flickr user mazgai, February 16, 2009. Provenience totally unknown, but this user shared other images from a taxidermy collection taken the same day.










.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
_(lipotes_vexillifer)_&_narrow-ridged_finless_porpoisespecimen.jpg)
_(lipotes_vexillifer)_&_narrow-ridged_finless_porpoisespecimen_(4).jpg)








No comments:
Post a Comment